Full-Time Water Resources Officer (2 positions Hargeisa & Mogadishu)
Under the overall guidance of the FAO Officer in Charge for Somalia, the overall supervision of the SWALIM Chief Technical Advisor, and the direct supervision of the Liaison Office Manager the incumbent will be responsible for water resources activities at the SWALIM liaison office. Specifically s/he will:
· Responsible for SWALIM water theme activities in including studies and surveys, data and information analysis, development of data collection tools, training of ministry and partner staff on the use of the data, information and tools;
· Support routine water quality testing activities and ensure water quality data is incorporated into the SWIMS and Live map database. Support groundwater and water quality monitoring networks.
· Support hydrological analysis of all catchments for planning purposes (IWRM plans, irrigation potential, land degradation, etc.). These will include rainfall/runoff modelling, erosion/sedimentation processes and water availability studies among others.
· Assist in updating the SWALIM Data and Document Repository (SDDR) with related water data.
· Contribute to the preparation of feasibility studies, policy support documents, best practice guides and various project proposals for ministries and public institutions.
· Attend to specific client information request and tailor make information to meet the needs of the various user groups. Book all requests made to the SWALIM Client Service Platform (CSP).
· Promote and increase the use of SWALIM water resources information and databases. Carryout client visits, address their water resources information needs, support and assist clients on the use of the water resources information. Monitor, evaluate and obtain regular feedback on usage of SWALIM water information products.
· Help in the running of the flood and drought centre at the disaster management agency and establishment of flood and drought response systems. Assume leading role in flood and drought risk and response and management through active participation in the relevant flood and drought meeting and working groups.
· Support training and capacity building activities for staff of the liaison offices, ministry data centres and stakeholders including longer training courses, on-the-job training and work-together with SWALIM professionals to manage the water resources information systems.
· Attend WASH cluster meetings, make presentations when requested and assist the cluster coordinator in coordination of the WASH activities.
Perform any other duties as required
University degree BSc. In Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Geology, Integrated Water Resources Management, Hydrology or related field.
Mminimum of 3 years work experience in an area related to water resources or engineering with experience on processing, analysing and reporting on water resources and hydrological data and experience in operative flood hydrology including remote sensing data, integrated water resources management with experience in surface and groundwater hydrology.
Experience in the application of communication and IT in water resources data and information presentation and dissemination.
· Demonstrated experience in the planning and implementation of participatory trainings with an adult target audience;
· Experience in the preparation of training materials and publications supporting capacity building in the food sector;
· Experience in assignments with FAO and/or other development partners;
· Successful completion of assignments in developing countries and Africa in particular would be an advantage
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Somali is required.
Working knowledge (level C) of the FAO official language used for communication within the country and working knowledge of the local language (Somali) is required.
Ability to effectively use standard office software, such as MS Office (Windows, Word, Outlook, Excel, Exchange) etc. Ability to use accounting software and other information systems and databases to insert data, make enquiries, retrieve/define ad hoc reports and analyses and edit results in appropriate format.
Office Management Skills:
Systematic, well-structured and efficient approach to work assignments. Analytical ability, accuracy and consistency. Exercise diligence and care in dealing with records and expenditures.
Interpersonal Communications and Teamwork Skills:
- The incumbent must possess a cooperative spirit, flexibility and openness to work in an international envir.